Re: [NTLK] Mucho bizarro

From: Martin Howard (mvhoward_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Aug 20 2004 - 21:42:43 PDT

On Aug 20, 2004, at 15:37, Dan wrote:

> Yes I can tell you what the problem is. You are using RTF with a newer
> version of Microsoft Word that is not 100% compatible with Bookmaker
> (which is several years older not to mention Word likes to put in extra
> junk in all files).

But how does that explain the fact that when I select the text in Word,
do "copy", go to TextEdit (which is every bit as modern as Word is and
both are running on OS X) and do "paste", it turns out as
garbage/wingdings? What is even more odd is that if I then select the
newly pasted text in TextEdit and try to change the font to something
else, it will not change. I still get those funky little symbols.

Note, however, that it is only the text that is set in Monaco in the
Word document that this happens to. The other text, set in Geneva and
in New York, works just fine and shows up in TextEdit just the way
you'd expect it to.

It seems to me that something else is going on here... unless,
somehow, Word's implementation of RTF is massively broken... or that
it's parsing of Word 5.1 files is broken. Which, while being unlikely,
is not something that I'd put past Micro$oft...

;)

M.