Re: [NTLK] SimpleMail hang

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 03:35:20 PDT

On Tuesday, August 24, 2004, at 03:10 AM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:

> Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:48:08 -0500
> From: Thomas A Isenbarger <isen_at_plantpath.wisc.edu>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] SimpleMail hang
>
> Yes, I agree. I like to keep my threads in order too, but I turned off
> threading because the very problem of which you speak annoyed me too
> much. I'll try to help the folks out who do use the threading, though.

Good luck with digest subscribers who don't even receive the header
info.

> I couldn't figure it out, so I posted it here to see if people more
> knowledgable in the ways of Newton could figure it out. I guess I will
> have to play around with it a bit. Wouldn't your suggestion only work
> for IMAP though? Or an arrangement where messages deleted from my
> desktop are then deleted (and not downloaded on to my Newton)? I don't
> have it set up this way. I read all my mail on my home, work, and
> Newton.

Malformed email (usually spam) will certainly kill a POP3 retrieve on
occasion. IMAP too, sure, but I don't use it enough to have had it
happen yet.

IF you have your desktop configured to retrieve and _delete_ all
messages, and you have just done so, then yes it seems unlikely that a
malformed email is causing this (but if you get a lot of spam (that
yahoo groups header in the one you included included looks spammy to
me) or I suppose if you get malformed emails from one host a lot, then
those could be killing the Newton retrieve repeatedly, whenever they
are present. If your desktop is leaving mail for 5 days or something
before removing, then the bad email or headers will still be sitting
there for the MP to find and choke upon. You don't really say what you
are doing so... since you read all your email on each of home, work,
Newton, you are either leaving it on your POP3 server always (which is
a bad idea) or using one CPU for final storage (perhaps after a certain
time period), right, after which the mesg is removed from the server.

So, what happens if you use your desktop to grab and delete all mail,
so the server is known clean (no messages there, read or unread), and
you send yourself a test email? And then retrieve from the Newton
(first)?

Brian

--
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only