[NTLK] Which Orinico Gold to get (was: Why is it so hard to find compatible WaveLAN cards)

From: Martin Howard (mvhoward_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 10:02:53 PDT

On Aug 26, 2004, at 03:01, Richard Kilpatrick wrote:

> I finally got around to buying a new card to replace the Sitecom card
> that clearly didn't work. Listed on eBay as an Orinoco Standard Gold,
> cheap price, and such. I can no longer remember which card is which,
> but I thought that Lucent=Orinoco. Lucent Gold with 128-bit is
> supported.

A problem with Orinoco Gold cards is that there are (at least) TWO
different ones. I discovered this when I ordered from Amazon and
subsequently posted a message about this here.

The card that I can confirm works in the Newton is the Orinoco Classic
Gold. Note the "classic" in the name. This is a 5V, PCMCIA, 802.11b
card that works with Hiroshi's Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE driver.

The other card is not called "Classic" -- I can't remember if it says
"Standard" or not. The other card is a Cardbus card, which will not
work in the Newt.

Both these cards were available new from Amazon as of July 22nd 2004
(although these days, the $12 MN-520 from CompUSA makes a lot more
sense).

M.