Re: [NTLK] Need Information about newtons

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 01:56:19 PDT

Lets take a stab at these shall we?

On Thursday, August 26, 2004, at 04:21 PM, RICKARD5 wrote:

> I'm sure all the Questions I'm asking are in a FAQ Somewhere, but I'm
> gona
> ask anyway.

The big FAQ: http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-hardware.html
The wiki: http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/
and the searchable newtontalk archives:
http://marc.10east.com/?l=newtontalk&r=1&w=2

are good resources for information - the majority of newton programs in
the shareware / freeware realm, and many program demos can be found at
www.unna.org - dig around in the archives for what you need.

> I just was lucky enough to pick up an eMate300 with a bad touchscreen.
> so
> I'm buying another one @ what I'm sure is a good deal Plus I'm looking
> at a
> MP2000 or Mp2100, and I'm making sure before I spend a bunch more
> Money that
> I'm not on a wild goose chase!
>
> #1 has any one got the Microsoft MN-520 802.11b WiFi PC-Card to work
> with
> tcp/ip on the Newton?

I believe so - just recently actually. Using it requires a couple of
packages for the newton - Hiroshi's 802.11 driver (shareware), and a
special version of the 'more wifi cards' package that extends the list
of recognized cards to be used with Hiroshi's driver. The version
publicly available might not be the version that has MN-520 support, as
this was added with the last week I think. Inquire of Paul Guyout here
on the list. Possibly necessary ( I can't recall off the top of my
head) is the 'Lantern' patch - which allows for use of certain wifi
cards whose ID strings were over the initial 31 character limit.

> #2 is there a Newton web browser?

Several Actually - Newtscape is shareware, but the most full featured
with some forms support, graphics, and other bells and whoozits such as
saving websites to books, installation of packages by downloading them
directly from websites, and other goodies.

Courier is text only - but the newest and the fastest.

NetHopper - is oldest, and least featured, but best for older newtons.

> #3 What do I have to do to get my Newton on the internet

Depends on how you wish to connect - assuming you want to use the
MN-520 mentioned above you basically install a bunch of packages to
provide support for the wireless card, a program to use the internet
(such as Courier or Mail V), and Newton Internet Enabler (plus its
related packages) - which provides for TCP/IP on newtons.

More in depth instructions:
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/InterNet

> #4 What are the differences between the MP2000 and the MP2100 ?

Heap space (functionally equivalent to ram in a pc) is quadrupled and a
few other little tweaks come to mind - more detailed information in the

> #5 Is it really worth the extra $$$ to get a 2100 over a 2000

Every package installed and not 'frozen' on the newton takes up some
amount of heap space just for being there - the more you have installed
the less room you have for actively running programs. The 2000 with a
quarter the heap of the 2100 can get very tight on space, especially if
you decide to get a flash card to put more packages.

> #6 has anyone successfully surfed the net on a Newton @ Starbucks with
> T-Mobil ?

Not to my knowledge - no web browser on the newton supports ssl, so any
site starting with "https://" won't work. Unfortunately I believe
T-Mobile requires you to first open a web page that uses ssl to log
into their service before you can surf, which is something you can't do
from a newton.

> #7 Is there connection software for the PC?

Newton Connection Utility for the PC - if you are connecting via a
serial cable to a modern pc you will probably need to run one or more
copies of the program "slowdown.exe" in order to throttle the pc back
to the point where serial communication with the newt won't fail.

> #8 is there a memory upgrade for the 2100, while leaving the slot open
> for
> the NIC ?

The newton has TWO pcmcia card slots - you can expand the storage space
of a newton with Linear Flash cards or (if you register the driver) CF
cards in a pcmcia-cf adaptor. Having one of these still leaves you with
an open slot to use with such things as an ethernet card, wireless
card, modem, gps card, bluetooth adapter etc.

> #9 is there an easy devolopment enviroment for Newton (BASIC or
> D-BASE) ?

While not necessarily easy to learn, one can find a development
environment for writing native newton-script programs - also these
newton-script programs can include some C (or was it a subset of c++,
that exceded c?) code, also there was recent talk of NSBasic on the
list - I haven't delved into programming the newton yet, so my info in
this area is a bit sketchy sorry!

> #10 is there a portable printer that will work with Newton

One of apple's stylewriters (2200? 2400?) could (if you had the battery
pack for it) act as a portable serial printer - works just fine. there
are other printers, include some that work with the newton's infrared
port out there. Most are older though - so finding them in good
condition, and ink cartridges to operate them with might be difficult.

> Thanks Everyone!

It's almost 2 am here - so I wonder if, when I re-read this after
sleeping, it will be legible, understandable or even helpful. I doubt I
covered any of your questions in enough depth - but others can fill in
where I missed something important - good night, and your welcome.

> --
> inquiries
> http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/

-------