Re: [NTLK] MP2000u Not Recognizing the Keyboard

From: Humphreys, David (david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 13:02:44 PDT

[To which I say:]
The fact that you were able to type information in (at least, for a while) tells me that the SER-001 is essentially
working.

Plugging the dongle in the interconnect port will always wake-up the Newton.
The dongle simply grounds pin 26 which triggers the wake-up signal.

Incidentally, this is why plugging the keyboard into the SER-001 doesn't wake it up - it has no connection to pin 26.

I would try to narrow the problem down by isolating systems.

Try connecting the keyboard via the dongle. If that works, then the serial port works and it could be a poorly fitted
SER-001 board.

If it doesn't work, then you have a problem either with the Newton or with the keyboard.

Try the keyboard in another unit if possible to confirm that it works.

Just keep narrowing down the possibilities.

You will get there. Don't assume anything from the start or you may be led down the wrong path.

PCBman