Re: [NTLK] Need Information about newtons

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 14:51:32 PDT

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 12:51:56PM -0700, Martin Joseph wrote:

> On Aug 27, 2004, at 11:58 AM, Greg Mason wrote:
> > Or does it only work with "real" networks. Also, what about when
> > there are 2 networks in the area?
>
> You need to MANUALLY enter the exact SSID or network name, so there is
> no "auto" seeking of wireless networks.
>
> > I'm at school right now, and i know for a fact that the Newton
> > won't be able to hop on the school's network, as you also need
> > Cisco VPN software to join the network. As the Newton doesn't run

Check with the IT ninjas on that one. Odds are that the VPN stuff is
there to dynamically authorize MAC addresses to use the network (no
password, no access) and suitably-bribed ninjas may be able to add your
network card to a permenantly-authorized list of MACs.

> > Windows, Linux, FreeBSD or Mac OS X, it won't work... What i'm
> > asking, is will the newton software be able to determine between the
> > PowerBook's ad-hoc network, and the school's?
>
> No, see above, it doesn't do that automatically. sorry.

Greg will, however, be able to set up multiple worksites, with different
802.11b setups, and switch between them easily. Worksite entries are a
majorly excellent thing in my book.

--
"25 grams of wafers and 20 ml of wine undergo transubstantiation and
 become the flesh and blood of our Lord. How many Joules of heat are