Re: [NTLK] [k]racking ata-support

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Sun Aug 29 2004 - 09:12:45 PDT

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 12:18:07PM +0100, keith wrote:
> It is shockingly easy to spoof an email address. (Something I'm
> reminded of every time I check my email and have to delete the
> hundreds of 'rejected message' reports sent to fake '@vortex.co.uk'
> addresses that spammers have decided to use for the last few days.)
> The real problem is that there seems to be nothing, zero, zilch, that
> can be done about it with today's implementations of email services.

Sure there is; don't accept even bounce messages for non-existing
address. Reject them at the SMTP level. Then you'll only have to deal
with the stuff from the well-meaning idiots at ste.net.sy that think a
doublebounce should go to the postmaster at the originally-targetted
domain, I guess because they think it's a typo-ed address.

> If I could get my hands on those spammers I'd show their remains to
> trolls such as this one as an object lesson in what should happen to
> real dirtbags. If only.

Here's a list, right down to addresses of the "businesses" sending the
spam. Knock yourself out. Tagging that first one will probably remove a
good quarter of the spam right off the net.

http://www.spamhaus.org/rokso/

--
_  o