Re: [NTLK] Fw: ATA Support Issues

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sun Aug 29 2004 - 12:09:10 PDT

> In reality, I'm pretty sure that if you *filled* a 2-4GB CF card with
> pkgs, you would crash and/or sieze the Newton. With only 4MB of Heap
> on the best of them and the need to load each pkg - oi ve!

Well you could if you partitioned it. But yes if you just had one 2gb
(or even say 60mb) partition you would crash the newton. Probably even
if you only had some of the packages thawed and the rest frozen. This
is because the newton does use some heap to keep track of the memory on
a card. I would say the largest *safest* partition would be say 20mb
partition. But that is not basined on experience but from what I have
heard from others. I know that people have used 30mb cards without any
trouble, but I prefer to err on the side of caution. Besides do you
know how long it will take to backup a 20mb partition if it is full?
Yeesh it takes long enough for one of my 6mb cards! One thing is for
sure, don't use a huge partition for data so it will make backups easier.

-Dan