Re: [NTLK] Somebody please respond to these Newton hardware / software topics!

From: Steele Campbell (the.vampire_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 06:53:43 PDT

> IrDA - I recently posted a question about the Newton MP 2X00's IrDA
> capabilities as compared to a standard television remote. I think that garnered one
> off-topic comment that somebody wasn't aware there were software apps for
> turning the Newton into a timer/remote control device.

That was me....

>The questions still stand:
>
> 1. Would the IrDA portion of a TV remote control device be compatible with a
> Newton, and if not, why couldn't they be interchanged?

If I didn't say this before, I will try and be more clear. It isn't
that the *Hardware* is incompatible but rather the system drivers I
believe, deep in the OS were implemented prior to the official version
1.1 IrDA standard which television remotes used. You might notice that
universal remotes do not work with really old IR remotes. I *believe*
this has been addressed by 40Hz and their IR driver. Check their site
for more details.

> 2. What is it about the Newton's IrDA or related circuitry that restricts
> the Newton's IrDA transmission/reception range to roughly one meter? (And
> please, don't start responding with an argumentative thread that the "range is
> actually one meter, three centimeters", etc).

Most IR is limited to 1 metre, only enhanced IR devices (such as the
Sony CLIE units) and remotes have the ability to transmit over larger
distances and even then, two Sony CLIEs pointed at one another over
the ~20ft space can't INTERCHANGE data, only transmit it one way.
DOn't ask me the technical details as I can barely build a circuit,
let explain the intricasies (sp?) of IrDA.

> Is the limitation due to the "optic" device (the IrDA's "eye"), limitations
> within the circuitry, or due to incompatibilities in the software?

Likely both.

> Microphone Input for the Newton eMate - The topic of sound and input for the
> Newton eMate comes up regularly, but nobody offers any useful advice, other
> than mentioning that it WOULD be POSSIBLE to make a DIY microphone/dongle
> device. I think the microphone input is a necessary improvement for the eMate
> (especially in cases where the eMate is used to help tutor kids with learning
> disabilities). Here are some questions:

I'm sorry to sound rude, but what are you looking for. There is NO
OTHER WAY of doing this. You need the dongle and AFAIK, they were only
for sale for a short time and unless someone has the specs and
schematics, you won't be able to use line-in. It might be a
"necessary" improvement, but in that case buy something with said
improvement.

> 1. If a tiny microphone were mounted in the eMate's casing, what would be
> the BEST way to connect the microphone leads to the eMate's circuits?

Likely through the *external* MiniDIN port....

> 2. Is there a specific socket plug connector on the eMate's motherboard for
> microphone input leads, as on the MP 2X00 motherboards?

Possibly. If you no what to look for, check Frank Gruendel's site,
pda-soft.de as it has detailed pictures of everything in the eMate.

> -----------------------------
>
> Music on the eMate - Other than .MOD files, which are interesting but rather
> limited in their entertainment value:
>
> 1. Can the MadMax (.mp3 music file player) app function properly on the
> eMate?

See next question

> 2. I could not get this to work on my eMate. Is it due to the eMate's
> slower (slower than the MP 2X00 series) processor speed?

Very likely. MP3 playing requires significant processing power (the
SONY CLIE line required a seperate processor for this until recently)

> 3. If MadMax won't work correctly on the eMate, would it be possible for
> somebody to write a program that would work with this device?

See above answer.

> Thank you for addressing these topics.

Welcome.

> Matt K.