[NTLK] An interesting observation about Avi's Backdrop

From: Josef Chessor (josefcub_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 16:11:42 PDT

Hey all,

     I use Avi's Backdrop as I'm sure others on the list do. I've
noticed something interesting pertaining to displaying images...

     I keep five separate backdrop images on my Newton, all of them
16-gray grayscale, each of a variable size (for either portrait or
landscape mode). Four of them I created myself, one of them "Hands",
is probably well-known.

     The weirdness involves the heap. It seems that when I select an
image which gives me the "The image you have selected is large" popup,
I'm left with 112k of heap free. But if I select a smaller image
which doesn't give me the popup warning, my heap is all of 87k. I
find that very odd indeed. Does anyone (Avi himself, or perhaps the
man who took over development) know why this is? Methinks it'd be the
other way around, or at least if it's a known quirk, Avi's Backdrop
could be made to take up less heap overall?

     For the record, I run a stock MP2000, NOS2.1/710031, Avi's
Backdrop 1.30, and too many other packages to list here (But I'll post
it if wanted.;)

Josef