[NTLK] "The Poindexter Project" [Give a genius a Newton?]

From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 21:55:11 PDT

[When reading this, please consider: I broke my wrist in a whole bunch of
places last week. It's late, I'm bored, tired, on Vicadin -- and still in a
great deal of pain]
If we could put free Newtons (and development tools) into the hands of a few
expert IT consultants, software developers, electrical engineers,
mathematicians, CAD designers, and physicists, I wonder if even their most casual
involvement would lead to an exponential increase in the development of new software?

Do you have a spare Newton or two in your gadget closet? Maybe your company
has a tech-geek prodigy in the IT department who loves to dabble in a variety
of technologies for the sheer fun of it. Or maybe you have a brother-in-law
or neighbor who is a retired professor of electrical engineering, or you know
somebody who develops prototype software/hardware for a high-tech company. Is
your cousin a budding inventor or a gifted mechanic and natural tinkerer or
hobbyist? Give them one of your spare Newtons. Even if it's an older 120 or
130. Give them the documentation that explains the wonderful world of Newtons,
how to program, etc. Then, stand back.

We could call this "The Poindexter Project".

Maybe it's selfish for me to think so, but I think I'd rather see ten Newtons
donated to ten closet geniuses. rather than see the devices donated to ten
students, ten randomly selected adults, etc.