Re: [NTLK] a hummm (reply to Sonny)

From: paul oberman (poberman_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Dec 24 2004 - 11:34:56 PST

Sonny Hung wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 01:07:06 -0800, paul oberman <poberman_at_mac.com> wrote:
>
>Read all the advice given already, I'd go along with those conclusions.
>

>>where to put the switch for the speed upgrade
>>

>Placement? well I'd suggest where most people place the switch - some
>where underneath the Port Door. Likely below the A/C Adapter Jack
>where the Serial Number label is located. If you'd like I can provide
>a photo of mine just drop me note off-line after the holidays.
>

>>humm when the backlight is on
>>

>Yes, Frank's analysis is right on the money - they all vary but all
>hum. Unfortunately it's not a catchy tune...
>

>>touchscreen didn't work...ribbon cable was mispositioned...related to hum?
>>

>That's great you figured that out. This happens even more often when
>the any of the plastic positioning posts are damaged which I see often
>when repairing damaged (dropped) units. Again hum is not related to
>this cable issue in any way.
>
>One NOTE: If you are going to any cutting becareful and slow. Make the
>verticle cuts to define the left and right limits of where the switch
>will go and make sure they are not too deep - if you need to go deeper
>you can always adjust for this.
>
>If you installed the crystal upgrade according to other instructions
>you will need to test for obstructions of switch and/or crystals which
>make cause the dreaded bulge.
>
>Have a great time hacking!

I would love to see where you have your switch. i made a cut and then
realized that there was a screw position right in the way. i am
assuming that you just live without that screw.

In an attempt to see if there was a position under the board, i broke
off the piece of the panel, over the data plug location. have replaced
it with glue, but that bugs me. maybe will replace it in the future.

here is a picture of where i made my cut:

the big problem is finding a switch that is small enough, to fit without
resting on components and making a bulge.

paul