[NTLK] [ANN] 8 new Newton eBooks: SciFi Edition

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sun Dec 26 2004 - 07:43:38 PST

New Newton eBook editions

Okay, the first installment didn't seem to upload to UNNA at all. Well, I
tried (a dozen times), any idea what's wrong? I got a new installment I
gotta get off my hd...

8 new books, all Newton formats covered, plus original text sources. All
delicious SciFi incl. a bunch of newer works. I'd upload the whole fat 17
MB ZIP-archive to somewhere, if anybody would publish that. Any takers?

Single editions can also be received by mail from

DJV.

Installment 2 -- General SciFi etc.

Note: Newer titles published under Creative Commons License or GPL or
whatever(TM).

Carlsson, Chris -- After The Deluge (2004)

Brandnew SciFi: The oceans have risen and changed maps all over the place,
societies morphed beyond recognition, monetary systems have been abandoned.
Oh, and a lot of people have been killed off courtesy of a scientific
mishap. A young man moves into San Francicso seeking something new in his
live -- and also soon seeking an arsonist...
Interesting social scifi that is a mix of eco-futurism and a geeky
sociologist's, ahem, wet dream.

Doctorow, Cory -- 4 Short Stories 2002-04

Four shorts by Cory Doctorow that haven't been around as Newton eBook
before (or at least, I haven't seen them). Contains 0wnz0red (a wiff of
21st cent. cyberpunk?), Liberation spectrum (taking wireless on the road...
and hey -- anarcho-syndicalist American Natives...!), Truncat (a Bitchun
Society story), Anda’s Game (greetings from the new New Economy(TM)!) and
some remarks by the author on Anda’s Game.
Brilliant stuff from one of the better new writers in SciFi (and co-editor
of boingboing.net).

Howell, Greg -- The Human Memoirs (1996)

May have been around as Newton eBook or paperback, but since I couldn't get
hold of a copy, I'd just rolled my own. The whole thing in one package,
which clock in at about 2.800 KB.
US soldier gets wisped to alternative/future world, where felines take the
place of homo sapiens sapiens -- and he takes his guns along (did I mention
he's a US citizen? ;=} )...

Lovecraft, H. P. -- The Temple (1920)

I like my Mars. I like my SciFi. But I also like my Lovecraft. ;=}
This war diary of a German Imperial submarine commander was newtified for
Matt "eBook" Kow -- it's about the TRUE horror lurking under water...

Munro, John -- A Trip to Venus (1897)

Applying a mysterious propellant force, off they go space-a-faring!
Discusses most competently other suggested means of powering space craft,
from explosives to magnetism.

Rockwood, Roy -- Great Marvel Series #5: Lost on the Moon

The previous volume saw them go to Mars, so now going to the Moon doesn't
that big a challenge to our boys -- or does it...?

Rosenbaum, Benjamin - Embracing-the-New (2004)

Short story about art, beliefs and development (or not) in an alien species.

Serviss, Garrett P. - A Columbus of Space

Vintage SciFi: A nerdy guy builds a space craft, more or less abducts three
friends, and off they go across space to reap riches and shoot people. Good
clean fun for the whole family!

The Original DJ Vollkasko's(TM) Newton eBook Editions

*** Get it here or from a www.UNNA.org near you! ***

Note: Titles marked "New!" that haven't made it through UNNA's publication
queue yet. Be patient or drop DJV a line.

Adorno, Theodor W. - On Popular Music (1941)

New! Balzac, Honoré de, and Amphiteatrof, Alexander - Folk-Tales of
Napoleon (1902)

New! Blackbird, Andrew J - History of the Ottawa and Chippewa Indians of
Michigan (1887)

New! Cooper, Michael D. - Starman 2 - The Runaway Asteroid (2004)

New! Darrow, Clarence - Crime, Its Cause and Treatment (1922)

Debord, Guy - Introduction to a Critique of Urban Geography (1955),
English/German (Situationiste International)

Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - Adventures of Etienne (1903) (Napoleonic Tales of
Etienne Gerard)
Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - Exploits of Brigadier Gerard (...more Napoleonic
Tales of Etienne Gerard)
New! Doyle, Arthur Conan - The Great Shadow and Other Napoleonic Tales
Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - The Final Problem (S. Holmes feat. Moriarty)
Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - The Valley of Fear (S. Holmes, Moriarty mentioned)
Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - When the World Screamed (1929) (feat.
Prof.Challenger)

Dunsany, Lord - 51 Tales (1915)
Dunsany, Lord - Book of Wonders
Dunsany, Lord - The Emperor's Crystal

New! Gratacap, L.P. - The Certainty of a Future Life in Mars (1903)

Haggard, Henry Rider (1856-1925) - A Tale of Three Lions

Howard, Robert E. (1906-1936) - Rogues in the House (Conan the Cimmerian
goes Newton!)
Howard, Robert E. (1906-1936) - Shadows in Zamboula (1935, Conan again)
Howard, Robert E. (1906-1936) - The Devil in Iron (1934, Conan yet again)
Howard, Robert E. (1906-1936) - The Tower of Elephant (...and still more
Conan!)

Knigge, Adolph Freiherr von - Über den Umgang mit Menschen (1788)

Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - Herbert West, Reanimator (1921-1922)
Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - Pickman's Model (1926)
Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - The Call of Cthulhu (1926)
Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - The Cats of Ulthar (1920)
Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - The Picture in the House (1919)

New! Mackey, Albert G. - The Principles of Masonic Law (1856)

New! Tietjens, Eunice - Profiles from China (1917)

Vague, Tom - Boy Scout's Guide to the Situationist International: The
Effect The S.I. Had On Paris '68 And All That, Through The Angry Brigade
And King Mob To The Sex Pistols

New! Wallace, Alfred Russel - Is Mars habitable? (1907)

Whibley, Charles - A Book of Scoundrels (Highway men and other criminals of
classic Britain)

Wilde, Oscar - The Picture of Dorian Gray

New! Yarrow, H.C. - Mortuary Customs of the North American Indians

*** "Don't ask what your Newton can do for you -
ask what you can do for your Newton!" - J.F. Newtennedy ***