Re: [NTLK] Newton voice recording

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Mon Dec 27 2004 - 08:29:19 PST

> Hi,
> I'm wondering about the voice recording capability of the Newtons.
> Which ones support recording voice notes and how much recording time
> is possible?
> Also, is the quality good, poor or mediocre?
> Thanks!

Well first off the only one "out of the box" that can do voice
recordings is the MP2x00 units. The emate technically has this ability
but you need plug in a audio IN adapter to the NIC port, or hardware
hack in a microphone (as the emate does not have one).

The quality is pretty good out of the box, and there are better codecs
if you want. As for how much recording time is possible, I don't know
of a technical limit other than storage space which of course varies
with the different codecs used.

There is a app that really expands the voice note taking cabablity of
the Newt and is called Voice Notes. It is not free but still available.
  http://www.modasys.de/htmls/produkte/pH/voicenotes/NOS_E.html Granted
you don't need this to do what you want. But it might make the task
easier as the codecs it uses compress more without loosing quality,
among other nice added features. I have not used the software myself,
but others on this list have and say it works well.

-Dan