Re: [NTLK] Modifying a PC ADAPTER for a MAC

From: Glen Givens (CGivens3_at_neo.rr.com)
Date: Tue Dec 28 2004 - 01:19:34 PST

From this link:
http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.andreas-borrmann
de/hightech/newton/intercon.htm

Is this pin out the same for a Mac or an IBM serial connection wired to the
NIC? I am getting really confused with the different type of connections
available.
    _________
    | 1 * 14\
    | 2 * 15 |
    | 3 * 16 |
    | 4 * 17 |
    | 5 * 18 |<->3
6<->| 6 * 19 |<->1
7<->| 7 * 20 |<->2
5<->| 8 * 21 |<->8
    | 9 * 22 |
    | 10 * 23 |<->4
    | 11 * 24 |
    | 12 * 25 |
    | 13 * 26 |
    |__N_I_C_/

RS-232 (+/- 12V) or RS-423 (+/- 5V)

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/Hardware/Misc/serial.html#mac
Macintosh (mac68k and macppc ) systems use the RS-422 protocol which has
balanced pairs (positive and negative lines) for transmit and receive. To
connect a balanced RS-422 line to a single-ended RS-232 line, tie the
positive receive data line (RxD+) to signal ground, and leave the positive
transmit data line (TxD+) floating.

--
Glen Givens
Newton Addict