Re: [NTLK] Lucent Bronze cards

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Thu Dec 30 2004 - 09:39:05 PST

On Dec 29, 2004, at 10:00 PM, paul oberman wrote:

> here are the pictures:
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/poberman/wifi/PhotoAlbum153.html

Huh, I see on the back of your card is says "bootrom: NO".

Originally these Wavelan cards of all flavors had some flash memory on
them that held firmware... Later in the game the vendors of these
cards decided to save a few zazafroomonkies by eliminating the flash on
each card.

The trick was that newer drivers for the mac or PC would have the
previously contained in firmware code in the driver.

I wonder if an issue is that the Newton driver needs to have the
firmware ON THE CARD?

I wonder if someone that knows more about this could chime in? Are you
there Paul? :~)

Also, if anyone on the list is successfully using a Wavelan Bronze
card, perhaps you could check the back of it and see if it has this
bootrom:no statement?

Marty