Re: [NTLK] Landware

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 22:13:16 PST

I personally think so. I purchased my copies this month and have been very
happy with them. The one nice thing with these two packages is they will
work anywhere. Not just in NewtWorks as some packages do. I have not tried
Lexionary, but I know it is a HUGE install (almost 4 megs and WordNewt is
even bigger at 8megs). Merlin come with 3 different size dictionaries. The
largest one is 847k (with 120,000 words) so is much more manageable in my
opion (at least when you don't have extremely large cards to play with).
The smallest dictionary is only 2k and allows you to run the program on just
the Newts built-in as well as your custom word lists if you are really tight
on space. Word Sleuth has about 200,000 synonyms if I remember right.

Another nice thing is that they can be shrunk down to a floating button to
keep them handy yet out of the way when writing. As I said I have not used
Lexionary but I find Merlin/Word Sleuth to be very good and I have not found
them lacking in words that I have used (at least with the large dictionary).
Unless you count technical words that most spell checkers have problems
with, and a quick add to the user dictionary fixes that

Also on a final note, I doubt that the others (WordNewt, Lexionary) would
work on a MP120 or 130 due to their very large size. These two probably
need lots of heep to run wel I would assume.

-Dan