[NTLK] Serial Modems on Newton: 56k possible?

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Feb 04 2004 - 02:40:21 PST

Dear All,

I'm thinking about getting myself an analogue modem sometime in Spring, for
travelling with my MP 130 (e.g. checking weather reports when going off
kayaking, river gauges and keeping up with my email).
    There's a nice and small green serial modem I've found which might suit
my Newton nearly perfectly - would be even better if the Newton had a green
translucent case and some Original Stefanie Maks Blinky Lights(TM) (anybody
got some spare green translucent cases for MP 130 to let? ;=} ). I'm
talking about this one
http://www.devolo.de/_de_/produkte/analog/ml56kfun2.html (sorry, they only
have that on their German page, the English pages only list their DSL stuff
- pretty odd, eh?).

Well, you get to read and see a lot about modems up to 33 kBit/sec and the
Newton, both as serial or PC-Card modems. There's a bunch of FAQ on card
modems about. But what about modern external 56k modems - will they work on
MP 130? I'm afraid they'd maybe be too fast for the MP's serial port -
anybody using 56k modems successfully? What specs would a 56k modem have to
comply with to work for us?

Cheers,

DJV.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html