Re: [NTLK] simple mail I mean Mail V!

From: Simon Bell (simonbell_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 06:58:42 PST

Hi

The response to Mail V so far has been very good, although some are
obviously disappointed at the lack of POP support. I'm sorry about
that, but I do believe Mail V is better for not having to support POP.

> Put the new card with Mail V in my Newton tapped inOut then receive &
> started to see progress that it was downloading 1 of 56 emails & the
> Newton completed the download in 100 seconds! Much master then before!

One of the advantages of IMAP, a better endpoint implementation and
more native C code.

> Then I thought I would compare the download speed so I put my original
> card with simple mail on it & got a -48418 error code

Ah! The setups for SimpleMail 4.x and Mail V are not compatible! I
should have made this clearer. You can't switch versions in this way.
As the website says, you should run the Mail Assistant to upgrade
SimpleMail 4.x setups for Mail V; but there is no backward migration.
If you need to revert to SimpleMail 4.3 use the Mail Assistant to
delete all Mail V's setups, then reenter them with SimpleMail 4.x
installed. Sorry.

> I put the Mail V card back in started to read emails no more delete
> remote action field (that was a nice feature so you can leave it on
> the server for later)

Deletion works slightly differently to SimpleMail. If you're browsing,
deleting a message from your Newton In Box deletes it from the server
too. Remember though that in IMAP when you delete a message all that
happens is a flag is set. You should still be able to view mesages
flagged as deleted in your desktop client. If you want Mail V
permanently to erase those messages when it logs out, set the Erase
deleted messages preference. If you're off-line, the deletion is only
from the Newton.

> checked my in box folder & now I see see six folders I never saw
> before starting with newted.dyndns.org

When Mail V browses an IMAP server it looks for all the folders you
created there and adds them to the In Box filing tab. When you switch
folders whilst browsing, it fetches the headers for that folder.

BTW, the Newton OS limits the number of In Box local (ie IMAP) folders
to 12.

I hope the changes are not too painful in this inevitable period of
readjustment.

Simon

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html