Re: [NTLK] [OT] Sudden monitor death

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sat Feb 07 2004 - 10:26:08 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Kummel
Date: Saturday, February 07, 2004 1:55 AM
Subject: Re: [NTLK] [OT] Sudden monitor death

Not really when you consider what a new monitor (or
even a used monitor) goes for these days. I wouldn't
venture to do it yourself either. The CRT tube on
these things act like a giant battery storing energy.
And in the case of a color monitor, that can be over
65,000 (sixty-five-thousand) volts! Nothing to be
trifling with. I got zapped by a color TV once, it
threw me 10 feet backwards into a wall. I couldn't
catch my breath for 15 minutes. The voltage probe I
was using fried at 87,000 volts (bad flyback...)
I should have mentioned *not* to try repairing it yourself unless you *know*
what you are doing. Those tubes need to be discharged properly or like Ed
said, you will get fried (I bet Ed got a new hair style). While they tube
will discharge after awhile, they have been known to hold a charge for
months. And sometimes they can pick up a small charge just sitting around
(but even that *small* charge can be enough to make you feel like you got
kicked by a mule). Not to mention there are large capacitors inside most
CRT's that can hold enough to give you quite a zap as well (something that
also needs to be safely discharged).

-Dan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html