Re: [NTLK] eMate questions

From: Eric Engle (engleerica_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Feb 07 2004 - 17:05:55 PST

> > The emate 300 clearly has space for a second PCMCI slot allocated in
> > the
> > design! Does anyone know whether this was actually implemented?
>
> It's for type II cards that were never developed :-(

So no one has hardware hacked anything into that slot space? Hmmm....

Speaking of which, one of the limits to hardware hacking the newton is the size
of the case: all the space is so efficiently used. On the other hand, there is
sooooooo much space in the emate, that I'm just wondering what could be done in
there.... built in camera would be possible for example. Or microphone. Or,
hehe, diskdrive (please don't laugh, I know its obsolete, so tell my colleagues
who all still use them) - a USB port is another possibility...

Speaking of hardware hacks, David Humphreys, Mr. PCB Man once made an april
fools joke about a color display for the newton. I wonder though, would it be
possible to replace the black and white screen with 16 grades of color?

Anyway I love the emate! It is so nice!
Also, the emate does not seem to let one adjust the color scale, though it is
clearly 16(?) shades of grey...