Re: [NTLK] Need a new backlight

From: Calvin Grier (cgrier_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 08:08:34 PST

With regard to contrast: When placed inside of an MP2x00, the white
backlight will make the display background more of a "slate gray" color as
opposed to the "green gray" of the off-the shelf unit. This change does not
make much difference to the contrast when the backlight is off since
contrast is color agnostic.

The Newton on the right has a white backlight installed (but not turned on):
www.adago.net/images/sidebyside.jpg

I'm afraid there's no good way to take pictures of an EL backlight in
action. It really must be compared to an original unit side by side in a
live comparison to do it justice.

Very dark and very bright conditions are where all MP2x00 Newtons really do
well. It is the in-between where it's less stellar. Changing the color of
the backlight really doesn't affect that. In fact increasing the brightness
by a large factor will decrease the usefulness in very dark conditions.

The brightness of a white backlight is about 70% of the brightness of the
original. That is due to the efficiency of the phosphors - green simply
puts out
more light.

If you want to try it out, I'd be willing to sell you a white backlight and
if you don't like it, you can send it back (within 30 days) as long as it is
still in good condition.

It's purely a personal preference, but I like the white and use it with more
frequency now than I ever did the green - simply because the "black on
white" appearance is more appealing than "black on green."

--Calvin