Re: [NTLK] Reformating Newton Books

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 18:21:52 PST

The only problem I have with Paperback is that does not save where you left
off (as you mentioned) and it is slow at rendering. At least I found it
MUCH slower reading a Paperback book rather than a Newton Book and I was
using a 2100. Perhaps it was the font I was using.

As for table of contents in a Newton Book, it is not that difficult. If you
drop in your text into Press and then try to make a table of contents, yes
that is a BIG pain in the backside. The best way I have found is selecting
the chapter in a word processor, then paste it in Press making a table of
contents as you go. Another method is to separate each chapter into files.
Then name the files what you want displayed in the table of contents. Turn
on the option to have "filename in table of contents". Then add the files.
Each one will have a entry in the table of contents.

While it is true you can get Paperback to generate one for you, it
sometimes is not a optimum solution. For instance if you have Paperback
keyed to the word "chapter" then every word that matches that will have a
entry in the table of contents, weather it was at the start of a chapter or
not. And you have no way to changing it either. Don't get me wrong
Paperback is great if you want a fast and simple book. But if you want more
features then Newton Book is better.

-Dan