[NTLK] Localize Newton MP2100 keyboard

From: francoventimiglia_at_iol.it
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 23:38:28 PST

I own US Newton MP2100 with external US keyboard.
Is it possible to create a localized Newton MP2100 keyboard?

What I mean is "to alter the key-mapping" on the Newton, either on the built-in
keyboard or on the external keyboard, in order to assign personal characters to
some physical keys, e.g. assigning accented Italian characters to some keys, to
create a physical Italian
keyboard.

I know the hidden keyboard combinations to produce accented characters, but what
I want is to change the physical keyboard mapping.

I know it exists too (I downloaded it) a free Newton extension by "Travel
Concept Solutions" which allows to install an Italian keyboard, but there are
two problems:
1 - It is an "old" Mac based "QZERTY" keyboard (not the "new" Mac based "QWERTY"
one, PC-like);
2 - It modifies only the internal (built-in) Newton keyboard and NOT the
external keyboard.

Well, if it already exists this utility (QZERTY Italian keyboard) I think it's
possible to create a QWERTY Italian keyboard.

But is it possible to apply the same thing on the "external" Newton keyboard?

Thanx,

Frankie

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html