[NTLK] WHisky [Was: Dead spots on 2100 display]

From: mark (mark_at_imap-partners.net)
Date: Sat Feb 14 2004 - 02:52:59 PST

On 14 Feb 2004, at 2:35, David M. Ensteness wrote:

> I am a Glenlivet [my spelling isn't the best] fan myself, having some
> now actually, only 12 year old though, can't afford the older stuff ...

Are you by any chance American David ? Glenlivet is very popular with
Americans, but its not usually the choice of the natives (of which I am
one, albeit, one who lives abroad). Its easy to drink, but its had all
of its soul beaten out of it. One of the few whiskies where instant
death is not mandated if you try to "liven it up" with anything other
than a few drops of still, tepid water.

> David
>
> On Feb 13, 2004, at 4:36 PM, Newtopia wrote:
>
>> Frank,
>>
>> The last time I barded Scotch for something, I bought a bottle of (I'm
>> going to struggle with the spelling) Lagavulin 20-year. That person
>> requested it specifically as his favorite; I remember it being rather
>> pricy -
>> something like $100 US.

That is NOT a standard bottling of Lagavulin, at least, I'm pretty sure
it isn't. Lagavulin 16 yo is an excellent malt and, at least back home
in Scotland and here in Germany, its not that pricey. I can get a
bottle here in Berlin for about 50-55 Euro.

If you liked that, you could also try Laphroaig (15 yo is excellent),
Caol Isla or Bruichladdich (now I'm not sure that that is the correct
spelling). Or, if you like complex and aromatic, but prefer less "smoke
and peat", you could try Balvennie (one of the double woods) or one of
the Glenmorangie special cask finishes (e.g. Port or Sherry).

now back to the usual newton service,

mark.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html