Re: [NTLK] 3Com ethernet cards

From: John Osborne (tooz_at_oceanatlas.com)
Date: Sat Feb 14 2004 - 07:50:05 PST

Peter (and list),

Yes, I'm plugging into a hub that is connected to a DHCP router.
Occasionally, I have seen a light flash on the hub but never on the
card or RJ-45 Dongle--it has lights? I have setup both DHCP and manual
connections in the Internet Setup application. I tested the manual
settings on other machines on the network and they work (IP, subnet
mask, router IP, DNS, IP).

Maybe my problem is one of inflated expectations. I have a 10BT network
with 4 machines (2 Mac OS X, 1 Mac OS 9 and 1 Win2K), 2 LocalTalk
printers with Farallon bridges (Apple LaserWriter 4/600 and Epson
Stylus Color 800). My network has a central DSL router that is
connected to a couple of hubs and then onto computers and printer
bridges.

My minimal expectation for my connected MP2100 is this:

I can connect MP to my network via either DHCP or manual IP settings.
       What connected means to me is:
        1) I should be able to print things on my MP2100 to my LaserWriter.
           LW is clearly visible in the Chooser of my Mac OS 9 Mac
             plus useable from both MOSX machines and PC via
          PC Mac Lan.

I have AppleTalk set to EtherTalk in the Preferences slip. Is there
some other setting that I'm missing?

My hopeful expectation is this:

I can connect my MP to my Mac OS 9 machine that has NCU running so I
can install packages. The NCU Mac is on my network, NCU is set to
listen for AppleTalk and serial connections and AppleTalk is set to
connect via Ethernet. Currently, MP Internet Setup consists of 1 setup
"Ethernet Setup" that describes a manual connection that was created
from the "Generic" template. In "Owner Info" I have a "Home" worksite
where the Internet Setup is set to "Ethernet Setup". When I open the
Dock, I select Connect via AppleTalk (seems the only appropriate
choice), and Connect to "Home" which pops up another slip to allow me
to "Choose a computer to connect with" with a popup labeled "Desktop
Computer" with options "None" and "Choose Other". I select "Choose
Other" and a slip pops up that claims it is "Looking for Mac OS
computers". Nothing happens for a long time so I eventually just cancel
the dialog. My expectation is that the MP would at least see my Mac OS
9 box running NCU.

My future expectations are to:

1) Run an email client on MP 2100
2) Sync the MP2100 with iCal and Address book on my iMac.
3) Get Notes into my desktop applications

I'm not willing to try the future stuff until I can at least get the
easy stuff working. So please tell me that I'm doing something wrong. I
my be a software engineer but I'm not a networking expert or even a
Newton expert. I will try and send the card back as defective if others
on the list are convinced I'm not making any fundamental operator
mistakes or haven't RTFM and this should all work together. As always
Thanks In Advance!

oz

PS is there any utility that allows you to see if you have a DHCP lease
from the router?

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html