Re: [NTLK] MP Connection Problem

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sun Feb 15 2004 - 09:12:00 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Reid <airwalk_at_neondsl.com>
To: newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>
Date: Sunday, February 15, 2004 1:33 AM
Subject: [NTLK] MP Connection Problem

Hello,

I am new here on the NewtonTalk list but I have been using my eMate since
1999 and my MessagePad 2100 since last year. I could not live without them!

I have purchased a cable that connects from the Newton InterConnect port to
a PC's serial input from J&K Sales so I could transfer files from my Newtons
to my Windows XP PC. Using Newton Connection Utilities, I was able to
connect my eMate to my computer and connect without any problems. However,
when I tried to connect my MessagePad 2100, I got an error on the Newton's
screen stating that it received no response from the computer. I have both
Dock connection types set to 'Serial' on both devices.

What could be wrong with the connection? Is there something I overlooked?
-----------------------------------
It possible the cable is faulty. I would contact J&K and see if they tested
the cable before shipping it to you. Another thing to try is a slower
speed, say 9600 or slower and see if you can get a connection then. Just
make sure you have NCU set to the lower speed as well as the Newton. Also
make sure your FIFO buffers are on and on the lowest setting (or next to the
lowest setting). Although as long as they are on, you should get a
connection. But if the connection is not stable try adjusting them and/or
using slowdown.

-Dan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html