Re: [NTLK] Getting past the bootstrap

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 01:24:25 PST

If he can find a machine with IrDa - he may not need the serial dongle
or a SER-001

Newton DIL tester (and other programs I'm betting) in os 9 and maybe
some os 10 programs can send packages over IrDa - thats how I
boot-strapped mine, my laptop has IrDa.

Many of the apple powerbooks, and I think the Rev a/b imacs had IrDA -
so if you don't have the capacity to use serial they may work.
On Feb 15, 2004, at 11:28 PM, Woody Smith wrote:

> The Newton will also need either a serial dongle or SER-001.
> Woody
>
> On Sunday, February 15, 2004, at 11:13 PM, David Ensteness wrote:
>
>> Couple options, all rather evasive. Add a serial port to the G5, then
>> run NCU in Classic or NewTen in OS X. Other option is to find Another
>> Newton user and have them beam it, or lastly set up on old Mac,
>> anything made in the last 15 years will do it.
>>
>> On Sunday, February 15, 2004 at 10:53 pm Jim Hill wrote:
>>
>>> Aside from a storage card with the needed software on it, is there no
>>> other way to get the Ethernet drivers onto the Newton?
>> --
>
> --
> inquiries
> List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html