[NTLK] How does one access the Internet on a Newton 2100?

From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 05:57:32 PST

Hi Everyone:

I still don't get the whole Internet experience on the Newton. I tried my
AOL account, but that did not work. I have heard that people use EarthLink. Do
they support the Newton? In other words, if I spring for an EarthLink
account, will I be able to get online with my Newton's fax/modem card?

Another thought I had was to try a dial-up text-based type of service. When
I worked for Wayne State University's Development Office in the early
nineties, our office had access to something called TELNET or MICHNET (in Michigan).
Basically, this was a service that allowed one to dial up and use something
called a VT100 terminal emulator, to access various websites in text format (no
pictures, but that was okay).
It seemed toy be primarily for the use of academic institutions, libraries,
nonprofits, and research centers. I am not sure if this was what people
referred to as a "Unix shell account." Anyway, it was pretty cool for just doing
research and reading news, etc.

I found a program for the Newton, called a PT100 emulator. I installed it
and hooked up my modem card to the phone line. I tried dialing up a MICHNET
number and actually connected to some server thingie. I did not get very far,
because it asked me for a login and a password. I think I need to subscribe and
get an account somewhere. Has anyone out there used this sort of service
before?
Any feedback would be very helpful. Thank you.

Matt K.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html