Re: [NTLK] Is Beaming to Other Devices Possible?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 11:53:39 PST

MKow1234_at_aol.com wrote:
> Hello Everyone:
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to beam to non-Newton devices, such as
> Pocket PCs. I attempted such a science experiment. My Pocket PC gave a

Yes, you can. You need additional software though, because the Newton
was released before IrDA was as widespread as it is now. With
additional software the Newton can speak IrOBEX to exchange objects like
text notes, contacts, calendar entries etc, and IrCOMM to emulate a
serial connection for cell phones, PCs, whatever.

As for exactly what will work, at least any Palm device should work. I
haven't tried any Wince or PocketPC devices myself, although there are
some old iPaqs floating around the office that I should test on.

You should install Neo, Nitro, and IC/VC which are all available from:

http://40hz.org/

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html