Re: [NTLK] OT Palm dropping support for mac

From: Anil (anil_at_thisiswhatwedo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 07:11:36 PST

Hi Zac,

The portability of compressed audio files is one reason I think iTMS
and the iPod are so popular. But the point that some people miss is,
technology gets better over time. Bandwidth will get better hard disc
sizes will get bigger and bigger, allowing for bigger files sizes. I
won't buy buy music form iTMS because I feel the quality of the audio
is not anywhere near as good as a CD, and CD isn't that great anyway.

Yes I do have an expensive audio system, most people won't have this
sort of set up at home because of what it costs (now), but there is an
audible difference that any human can hear. My point is that you can
hear a difference, and technology will mean we will have better and
better audio equipment in our cars (as well as better sound proofing),
at home and in our hands (or shirt pockets if you have an iPod mini).

By buying audio in a compressed format, you have no room to manoeuvre,
you are stuck with that quality unless you decide to buy them again at
the new higher bit rate, that iTMS will eventually offer. I for one
will only buy audio books and live comedy etc. from iTMS, well I will
when it eventually arrives in Europe.

If we were all running fibre optic connections to the internet, there
would be no need for compression, iTMS doesn't compress files because
it makes them sound better.

Just my opinion.

Kindest regards

Anil K Solanki