Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V4 #108

From: Steve Weyer (saweyer_at_comcast.net)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 16:44:59 PST

On Feb 19, 2004, at 3:12 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:57:04 +0100
> From: DJ Vollkasko <DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Multi-format book packages (was Reformating Newton
>
>> From: Steve Weyer <saweyer_at_comcast.net>
>> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Multi-format book packages (was Reformating
>> Newton Books)
>
>> Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:57:07 -0500
>
> [...]
> ...snip...
>> for this to Newt's Cape... (and we could more intelligently discuss
>> merits/sizes of single multi-format book vs. multiple books).
>
> So it's *NOT* possible after all - or is it? One guy says, yes, but
> it'll
> be n times the file size (where n is the number of contained
> resolutions),
> and our Steve says it would be possible to have one set of payload with
> some additional overhead date, but it's never been sighted anywhere...
>
> Now, is it possible or not, and if yes, then how? (A case for the Wiki
> or FAQ?)

I think that a multi-resolution book _should_ be smaller than N
separate books -- package header and book content shared; each
resolution would add layout info on how to view the content in the
pages. but I've never seen an actual functioning multi-format book --
when I tried creating one myself, it didn't display the multiple
resolutions as I expected; so I probably was missing some undocumented
field or bits somewhere -- assuming the Copperfield book reader
actually does support this.

Steve
weyer_at_kagi.com
http://www.kagi.com/weyer/