Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple, Design and "Different" (Was: "Where would Newton would be today)

From: Jared Bland (jrbm689_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 13:35:54 PST

On Feb 23, 2004, at 4:09 PM, Nathan Turnage wrote:

> Jared Bland wrote:
>> 2001: PowerBook G4
>
> That is one of the horrible silver computers you are ranting about.
I have to explain this AGAIN?!
I said they haven't done anything DIFFERENT! The TiBook was vastly
different from the PowerBook G3 Pismo. The "horrible silver computers
I am ranting about" are the recent laptops (AlBooks) which are not
original, nor very different from their Titanium predecessors.

>> You're saying panther is "way" more stable, eye-pleasing and
>> functional
>> than Jaguar?
>
> YES. Not one kernel panic, and no more annoying perpetual-spinning
> beach
> ball (I do hate the beach ball).
Ask the thousands of Panther users what they think of Panther. Oh, and
ask the Oxford 911 chipset users what they think of losing possibly
valuable data? Just another feather in the cap of Apple's Quality
Out-of-Control

>> I beg to differ.
>
> User experiences may vary.

Please remind me what I was begging to differ about.

>> 1: Stability has gone down the tubes.
>
> I beg to differ here.
I grant you the ability to differ... Continue?

>> PowerBooks, white screen spots (even my 12" PB Rev. A has
>> them!)
> Why on earth did you buy a Rev. A computer? I got stung with a B&W Rev.
> A. Never again will I buy a Rev. A machine. Yer fault there dude. And
> if
> you like the Tibook so much, why didn't you buy one?
I shouldn't have to wait 6 months to 1 year to purchase the computer I
want because stupid things slipped through Quality Control. There's no
reason my lap should burn every time I use my laptop. There's no
reason there should be white spots on the laptop screens.. ANY OF THEM!
  If you think I should just accept that Rev. A Apple products are
lemons and wait, then everyone should just accept Windows XP's "minor"
flaws and use that - right? Wrong.
Oh and about the TiBook... Not everyone has a money tree in their back
yard. Don't make judgements that just because someone purchases Macs
they should only get the highest-end, most powerful machine. My first
two Macs were gifts from my older brother who works at an Apple service
center www.voelker.com. It took some major saving to get my 12"PB and
I am more than slightly disappointed. The screen hinge didn't hold the
weight of the screen, the metal bent extremely easily, white spots on
LCD, extreme heat from the processor. There is no excuse for Apple's
Quality Control, or lack there-of.

On another note, why don't I get Linux? Well, gosh golly gee whiz
Fonz, I don't know. Maybe because it's --- I don't have the energy to
respond to such an inane suggestion.

Some people just don't get it. There hasn't been anything truly NEW in
Apple's hardware lineup for atleast a year and a half (don't start in
about the PMG5, that's a big silver monolith.. It's a silver AT case
with holes and an organized interior.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html