Re: [NTLK] Apple, Design and "Different" (Was: "Where would Newton would be today)

From: Jared Bland (jrbm689_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 13:50:40 PST

> Jared,
>
> You're a good kid and contemplate before you express your thoughts,
> which
> even for a 20-year old male is pretty remarkable. Apple/IBM/Any other
> company won't provide what you are looking for, which I think you are
> implying is a sole. The colors were part of a marketing effort that
> combined
> with the form factor and other desirables you mentioned allowed you to
> connect on a deeper level with it. But think about it this way, when
> you
> were actually using the device, you were interacting on a conscious
> level
> with the OS and the Apps - not the form factor or the color. I'll
> liken this
> to a woman (since I'm a man (( not to diss any non-hetero's))), you
> are and
> this is in general terms, attracted to someone for their looks, the
> way they
> flirt, if you like certain physical features they have etc; at the end
> of
> the day your long-term relationship with that person is not only based
> on
> that but a deeper connection to that person's soul, who they are, what
> they
> stand for, etc. You still appreciate the "cosmetics" but it's the
> substance
> that keeps you, am I getting my point across?
>
> So the can of spray paint wasn't to slam you, it was to push you into
> some
> deeper thought about what it is that you are really looking for from
> Apple.
>
> Being part of the "Evil Empire" I appreciate all of the efforts that
> Apple
> puts forth, whether they are perfect, nearly perfect or just "what the
> ????
> is that for"? Sometimes you just need to search a little deeper for
> what is
> good and how that will lead to something better, and hey, if painting
> a Dual
> G5 puts a smile on your face, spray away!

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I understand the OS and the Apps
are what really matter in the end, but I was talking about
switchers/converts for a moment there. They will not be attracted to
the OS (atleast the average consumer won't) as much as they would be to
the hardware. When you pull out your 'Book at the airport, Starbucks
or other public place, do people stare out of envy of your OS, or the
design of the hardware?

About the OS. In my own experience, Panther has been almost a complete
nightmare. The look is more professional, which is a good thing - but
it acts like OS 9 (sans apps taking down the entire system). Crashing
here, crashing there. Not a pretty sight.

I don't NOT like the look of Apple's machines. I'm just saying they
need to do something truly "different", or change their marketing
slogan to "Think Refreshed" (talking about refreshing the lines, vs
creating new markets and totally revamping old products with a fresh,
new look.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html