Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple, Design and "Different" (Was: "Where would Newton would be today)

From: Nathan Turnage (nturnage_at_andadv.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 14:07:24 PST

Jared Bland wrote:
>>Oh, and one should note. Cooperative multitasking may suck, but it is a
>>"true" form of multitasking.
>

> There was no multitasking. No multitasking until Mac OS X. Even 9.2
> had no multitasking.

You really don't know what you are talking about. Cooperative
Multitasking was employed by Apple as far back as 7.5 I believe. It IS
multitasking, but it doesn't work like most people think MT should work.
It works on one app's processes until it is finished then works on
another apps processes. The apps take turns in the CPU. There was no
multithreading until 8.6 or 9.0 brought it to the Finder, then X, X.1,
X.2, X.3. Others can elaborate where I can't.

-Nate

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html