[NTLK] Emate shortage - because of hinge problems

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 21:03:43 PST

   The humorous thread on 'Newton shortage' got me thinking: how many
broken eMates are floating around out there, that have succumbed to the
hinge problem? How much demand would there be for a replacement
display cable, or are there big cachets of broken eMates somewhere that
could be bought on the cheap?

(A *very* interesting solution that comes to mind is to replace the
ribbon cable entirely with a digital cable - I'm sure that cable can go
out in time in other ways than being punctured). This would require a
one multiplexer/demultiplexer chip at each end, which there might not
be room for - although I have heard there's a lot of empty space in the
eMate due to it's rugged design. Whether you could get people to pay
$60-$80 for such a beast [when a bare eMate alone is only worth about
$100-150] is another matter..)

Jim Witte
jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us
Indiana University CS