[NTLK] Payola, nPlaylist [was Re: [OT] Economics of piracy]

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 01:23:42 PST

>From: Martin Joseph <martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com>
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] [OT] Economics of piracy
>Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:59:50 -0800
>

>On Feb 23, 2004, at 11:47 AM, Rhonda Hyslop wrote:
>
> > * Martin Joseph <martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com> [23 Feb 2004 11:24]:
> >>
> >> If you turn on your radio and listen to a song is that stealing?
> >
> > No, because the radio stations pay the royalties to the record labels
> > for permission to broadcast the songs.
> >
>LOL I thought the record companies payed the radio stations to play
>that crap ;~)

No, they pay the DJs (not this one, mark ye). Ever heard of Payola? That
was the Watergate of the music industry, and it still works today, if in
smaller doses.

*OR* in the case of major labels they might outright *own* mass media
distro channels to plug their wares, either by owning tv or radio stations,
or by providing media productions free of charge - from music videos to
complete formats -, by through cooperations and presentations and sales
plugs in unrelated shows, etc., recycling footage from one show in another,
and so on.

DJV.

P.S.: To get this back on topic - I'd love to have a Newton-based playlist
tool, that'd really help planning radio shows. Would be nice to document
club sets, too. Manually enter titles, labels, runtime, set order,
comments, etc. (barcode, label code, order number, title of LP/CD, format -
CD, CD-S, DVD, 7''-45, 7''-33, 7''-16, 7''-78, 10''-16, 10''-33, 10''-45,
10''-78, 12''-16, 12''-33, 12''-45, 12''-78, Custom -, track number, song
title, credits...). So far no prob (can do this with any Newton DB tool),
but: Must have ability to look up and download any discographic info info
off the web (e.g. CDDB) and upload playlists to desktop or website. Any takers?

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html