Re: [NTLK] Mail V folder names

From: mark (mark_at_bbprojects.net)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 10:39:01 PST

Michael Blazer wrote:

> Is there a way to change the way IMAP folder names are
> displayed by Mail V? With my IMAP account, Mail V displays them
> with the domain name of my mail server prepended before the
> specific folder name; e.g.: "mailbox4.utcc.utoronto.ca
> Sent-mail". The problem with that is that it's too long. When
> I use the folder selection tab in In/OutBox, I can see only the
> first couple of letters of the specific folder name (e.g.,
> "mailbox4.utcc.utoronto.ca Sen...", and I can't see it at all
> in the folder filing slip. All I see there is "mailbo..." for
> all the folders, so I can't tell them apart. My other IMAP
> clients (Entourage & Mail.app) don't do this, they just display
> "Sent-mail" etc.

This is (once again) correct IMAP behaviour by MailV.

You could edit your folder hierarchy (with a competent IMAP client such as Mulberry or the web or CL interface of your mail service provider (if they have one)) such that the mailboxes are not so deeply nested e.g.

Inbox.Filtered.Lists.Newtontalk

could be moved up the hierachy to:

Inbox.Filtered.Newtontalk

or even:

Inbox.Newtontalk

An alternative would be, as you attempted, to shorten the names of the mailboxes. You would again need to do this per competent client / web or cli. You can't successfully edit them on the Newt.

HTH,

mark.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html