Re: [NTLK] Mail V problems:

From: Simon Bell (simonbell_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Feb 28 2004 - 01:05:40 PST

> a few recurring problems with Mail V:
>
> For unknown reasons, whenever I connect to mac.com email account (which
> is NOT my primary email in mail V) and there is NO new mail - mail V
> 'downloads' the information for the newest email again (i'm in browse
> mode, not download mode) leaving me with duplicate entries on my
> newton.

All IMAP messages have a unique ID (UID) on their server. Mail V
remembers the last UID it received from each server, and each time it
connects asks for messages AFTER that UID. I've noticed, however, that
sometimes if there are no new messages the server feels it would be
rude not to reply with something, so gives Mail V a message with a
lower UID, and you get the same message over again. I think this is
what you're experiencing.

> At seemingly random times - I will open an email and have mail V
> download it's contents - but end up with a blank email (no, I didn't
> forget to check the 'parts' button to see if it really was html not
> text in said email), if this happens any email I try to open (that
> wasn't already downloaded to the newt) ends up the same way - until I
> restart the newton.

There is a fault in the NewtonWorks text view that the Paper Stationery
is based on. If an error occurs while rendering a page, nothing is
displayed on that page or any other Works-based page until you reset.
Text Stationery still works, however. Does this fit your experience? If
so, I think it's more likely to be enriched text or RTF rather than
plain text that causes the error. If anyone can send me such a text
that consistently causes the problem I'll look into it.

Simon