Re: [NTLK] eMate Motherboard Screw size?

From: Aynthem (aynthem_at_softhome.net)
Date: Sun Feb 29 2004 - 14:58:52 PST

 Robert Benschop <rbenschop_at_euronet.nl> wrote:

>I think I would leave the middle one out, just an uneducated guess
>though, never tried that myself.
>Probably the best idea would be to install the four outer screws and
>feel how well the motherboard is attached...

Advice taken. The motherboard now feels as if it is solidly seated,
with no movement, with only the four outer screws fastened. When I
reattached the motherboard, I noticed that the hole which the
stripped screw came out of was to the top left of the motherboard
hole, although the other four holes aligned perfectly. It was
difficult to thread another screw into this hole, although possible
by working slowly and carefully. Probably that's why the screw
stripped; it was driven in at a slight angle rather than straight,
and therefore bit into the plastic more strongly than the other
screws.

As for the rest, well, the world now has one more hinge-repaired
Newton! (with another one to follow the next sunny afternoon I have
off) I consider this a victory, as I never, ever soldered or de-
soldered anything in my entire life until this afternoon. A virtual
celebratory toast to Mr. Gründel and Mr. Sciamma, as well as to the
members of the Newton Talk list. I wouldn't have done it without
you.

Now to recell a few battery packs...

Melody