[NTLK] WLAN cards for MP2000

From: mark (mark_at_imap-partners.net)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 04:49:46 PST

Hi all,

I just re-subbed after a long time away. Now that I have an Airport
network at home, I thought I'd add my MP2000 to it. I've been trying to
find a suitable card locally at a decent price. Ideally I'm after the
Lucent WLAN Gold. It seems to be a good bet according to Hiroshi
Noguchi's page here:

http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm

The current (new) version of this card seems to be the:

"short Antenna Type II Extended PCMCIA IEEEŽ 802.11b Wireless LAN Card"
as detailed on this page:

http://www.agere.com/client/wlan.html

Right ?

I can't find this card offered locally (Germany or nearby EC country).

I seem to remember though that Proxim ORiNOCO WLAN PCMCIA cards are
just rebadged Lucent/Agere cards (or at least use chipsets that are the
same as the Lucent/Agere chipsets) right ?

If so, there seems to be two options (both available locally and
cheaply):

http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/client/11bpccard/index.html

and

http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/client/goldpccard/index.html

Can anybody confirm whether both of these, only one of these, or (worst
case) neither of these work with Hiroshi's driver in an MP2000

wtia (good to be back)

mark.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html