Re: [NTLK] OT macworld 04 pix

From: Norman Palardy (palardyn_at_shaw.ca)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 07:59:48 PST

On 9-Jan-04, at 1:20 AM, Brian Pearce wrote:

>> Make no mistake, if Apple really decided to be purely a software
>> company they'd port OS X to Intel commodity hardware and sell it like
>> crazy.
>
> And we'd soon find the company either drastically reduced or out of
> business altogether. (In any case, the remaining revenue from "beyond
> the box" sources wouldn't allow for much in the way of R&D.)

Of that I'm not convinced. Obviously they can't just quit selling Macs.

I do think they could slowly move to releasing OS X on Intel, but still
make it run better on a Mac because they control the hardware.
This would open them up to at least being more than they are today.

That seemed to be the plan when they got in to finally allowing clones,
although they did it in a way that meant they gave away the OS and
charged too much for hardware designs that Power, Umax and others
didn't need.

But, with Steve at the helm I doubt they will ever make another move
like that again.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html