Re: [NTLK] [NTLK][OT] macworld 04 pix

From: Peter Fraser (pjfraser_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 11:35:24 PST

i have a couple of pennies to toss into this pile, too...

recently i was chatting with a coworker who is due to purchase a new home computer. she wanted to know about macs because i'm the "mac guy" in this office, and i make sure the folks know that all the cool computer stuff i do is done with macs, and they are usually quite impressed. a lot of them are just starting with digital photography and iPhoto is very attractive.

anyway, so she's asking what a mac laptop costs. i take her to the apple site and show her a few choices, and she gets a diappointed look on her face and says that dell has one for sale for $499 or something silly like that.

so we go to the dell site, and i use it to configure the "$499" machine up to a comparable-or-worse spec vs. ibook, including offered software packages to add the ilife-like functions. and guess what? the "bargain" dell ends up just over $300 more expensive than the ibook.

so it's all about marketing and perceived value, not what you get for what you pay!

-- peter
pjfraser_at_mac.com

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html