[NTLK] Newton packages on MacOS X (was: Re: Roamer PC card? Network for 130?)

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sun Jan 11 2004 - 11:31:18 PST

Aux environs du 10/01/04 à 12:56 -0800, sous le titre "Re: [NTLK]
Roamer PC card? Network for 130?", Martin Joseph prit sa plus belle
plume pour écrire les mots suivants:
>On Jan 10, 2004, at 12:38 PM, Luiz Petroni wrote:
>
>> There was a nice app called Packager that did the trick (set icon + set
>> to delivery or escale app) but it is not working with Panther (at least
>> for me) :(
>>
>Packager and the other file typers change the file type and creator
>codes, which OSX doesn't even look at.

Actually this is wrong.

To reply to original poster, Packager does work on Panther but it
crashes if you drop a file on it (after setting the creator and type
codes). This actually is a bug in Panther. You can work around it by
launching Packager and then dropping files on them. Make sure to send
an e-mail to Michael if you experience other problems.

MacOS X uses three things to figure out about a file:
- the suffix
- the creator types and codes
- the content

I agree that it's far from being perfect. I would even say it's not
as good as Mac Easy Open. But it does look at the creator codes. Why
it considers Newton packages as Installer packages reveals it's
completely stupid, though. Installer packages are bundles, not flat
files, on the contrary to Newton packages.

Anyway, Packager 2 in its latest version is smart as in it will
detect if a file looks like a Newton package or not. So does recent
versions of Escale I think.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/