Re: [NTLK] iR OBEX Newton <-> iPaq

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 23:28:08 PST

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:23:40 -0500, Chris Ruprecht wrote:
> I tried iR OBEX, but the Newton complains that the other device isn't
> running OBEX. This caused me to 'Huh?' for a moment ...

I guess you're using Nitro and IC/VC on the Newton? You could try to
use the "Use IrXfer" setting on the Newton (from the IrOBEX preferences
in the Inbox).

> I also have a Dell Axim X5 at the office and I tried to iR OBEX there,
> but the IR reception of the Axim is lousy. I get it to see the Newton at
> times, but they never actually get any data across to each other.

I'm not sure how the PocketPC devices handle IrDA transfers, but if it
is similar to Win2k, you have to use a little workaround. The problem
on Win2k is that the transfer functions (e.g. sending from the context
menu in the explorer) are only available when Windows has detected a
devices via IrDA. So as soon as you enable receiving on the Newton,
Windows enables the context menus, but by the time you've navigated to
your files, the Newton has already timed out. The timeout on the Newton
is unfortunately a bit short (I'm investigating how that could be
changed, but it's not really easy).

The workaround on Win2k is to open the IrFTP.exe application manually,
navigate to the file you want to send, initiate receiving on the
Newton, and as soon as the IrDA dock icon appears on Windows, send the
file from IrFTP.

Maybe you need something similar for PocketPC...

> I have an ethernet card for the Newton as well as for the iPaq, is there
> anything I can do to make them talk that way?

Can you export the cards from the iPaq to something like vCards? You
could dump all vCards into one file, put it on a web server and
download it from there using the Newton with Courier. Once the file is
in the Newton's Inbox, you can use IC/VC to put the cards away into
Names.

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html