Re: [NTLK] .sit files, how do you install them?

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 22:55:55 PST

on 1/14/04 10:20 PM, Newtopia at MicroSSG_at_Comcast.net wrote:

> Is stuffIT a perennial favorite of Mac addicts or am I just to engrained
> with PKZip? I might be showing my Windows background?!?

WoW!!! Does _that_ sentence make me feel old! I never thought of PKZip as
being a _Windows_ app! I thought it was a DOS app! Did it actually migrate
to Windows? What about WinZip? I don't really know... I moved to Mac back
when Windows 3.0 came out... I figured that if I was going to pay money to
play with the imposter, I would rather spend my money and get the real
thing, so I migrated to Mac... But in any case, PKZip brings back memories
of DOS 5, local bulletin board services, and.... :-)

But to sort of answer your question, StuffIt is the Mac equivalent of PKZip
from DOS (and, I suppose now, Windows) It's as old as PKZip, and, just as
firmly entrenched in the Mac world...

A warning. There is something funny about unstuffing Mac files on Windows...
I can't remember what it is, but you have to turn off two functions. Maybe
somebody else can chime in on this point?

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland