Re: [NTLK] How about internet transfer speed on your newton?

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 07:27:30 PST

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 23:20:30 -0800 (PST), APLIQUS-BOARD wrote:
> I got only 1KB/sec from NewtFTP on my MP2100 but Courier and LunaSuite
> Pro Inet FTP show 20KB/sec over! So I've tested some applications I'm
> using. The result is below. Please let me know how I can understand
> this weird thing.

This more or less an issue how an application is actually implemented.
Due to some limitations of the networking layer on the NewtonScript
side, it is highly desirable to know the size of the object to download
beforehand. Otherwise, you might have to read one byte at a time. I
guess NewtFTP does that. Another issue is where you're storing the
data. Heap (application working area) is fastest, followed by internal
storage, then memory cards.

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html