Re: [NTLK] .sit files, how do you install them?

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 09:11:15 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
To: Newtontalk <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>
Date: Thursday, January 15, 2004 1:57 AM
Subject: Re: [NTLK] .sit files, how do you install them?

on 1/14/04 10:20 PM, Newtopia at MicroSSG_at_Comcast.net wrote:

> Is stuffIT a perennial favorite of Mac addicts or am I just to engrained
> with PKZip? I might be showing my Windows background?!?

WoW!!! Does _that_ sentence make me feel old! I never thought of PKZip as
being a _Windows_ app! I thought it was a DOS app! Did it actually migrate
to Windows? What about WinZip? I don't really know... I moved to Mac back
when Windows 3.0 came out... I figured that if I was going to pay money to
play with the imposter, I would rather spend my money and get the real
thing, so I migrated to Mac... But in any case, PKZip brings back memories
of DOS 5, local bulletin board services, and.... :-)
--------------------------
LOL! Yes true it was orginally a DOS app. Then came WinZip. I also have
such memories, although I rember quite a bit further back than DOS 5 lol.

And yes there is something "funny" about unstuffing on windows. You need to
set the options to all "never" under cross platform tab. You may have to
click the "more" buttion at the bottom to see the tab. Sometimes the
default settings work fine, other times not, I guess it has to do with the
version of Stuffit that was used to create the archive in the first place.
But if you set everything to "never" you shouldn't have a problem (unless
the archive is corrupted in the first place).

-Dan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html