Re: [NTLK] Kuala Lumpur and Hong Kong

From: Lallang_at_aol.com
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 22:18:06 PST

Ummm...not true. In Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and Hong Kong, the power supply
is 220V and the plugs follow the British 3-pin style. American-style plugs
will *NOT* fit into the sockets without adapters.
In a message dated 1/15/04 22:57:17, glen_at_swanson.dk writes:

> David,
> I'm based here in the Lao PDR and have had no problems using the
> American supplied power adapter on my snow iBook. Though whenever
> possible I do like to use a surge protector, as our power supply can be
> a bit erratic; especially up country. So other then perhaps fitting a
> plug adapter (though it would seem that throughout Southeast Asia most
> power sockets fit both the euro and American styles) you should be set
> the way you are.
> Glen
> --
> Glen Swanson,
> CAS Consultant,
>
> World Bank Office,
> Patou Xay, Nehru Road
> Vientiane, Lao PDR
>
> Phone: (856-21) 414209
> Fax: (856-21) 414210
> Mobile   (856-20) 5519 812
> On 16-Jan-04, at 9:52 AM, Grant Hutchinson wrote:
>
> > In a previous message, David Golden typed vigorously:
> >
> >> I will be flying to Kuala Lumpur for a family wedding in aprox six
> >> weeks. On my return trip I am planning to spend a day or two in Hong
> >> Kong. I know that there are members of our happy band who live in the
> >> Far East and I was wondering if anyone would give me the heads up on
> >> proper AC adapters to use with my iBook as well as any other touristy
> >> tips. I am particularly interested in Hong Kong since I will be on my
> >> own there.

=====Message ends========
"lallang" is the Malay term for elephant grass that has silicate (and thus
razor-sharp) edges. Known in the USA as "cogon grass". Click on or cut and paste
this into your browser: http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/imcy1.htm to see
a picture.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html