[NTLK] OT: free iTools replacement?

From: Diane Palumbo (newyorker4ever_at_hailmail.net)
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 00:30:33 PST

I just came across this page and immediately signed up, thought some of you
might me interested
www.spymac.com
Note: It's not quite clear when you register that you have to wait for their
confirmation email for the password. I tried to login immediately which
didn't work.

Welcome to Spymac 3, public beta 1
Remember iTools? We do.

Before there was the $99-per-year .Mac, Apple offered a free suite of
Internet services known as iTools. From web-hosting to iCal publishing,
iTools offered easy, Mac-centric access to some of the coolest aspects of
Internet life. Even though multiple iTools replacements eventually popped
up, not a single one managed to gain the following and generate the
excitement that iTools did. Why? They did not offer the features Mac users
expected. They did not offer the integration that was first experienced with
iTools. And perhaps most importantly, they were not completely free.

Enter Spymac 3

More than a year of planning, development and sleepless nights was invested
into Spymac 3, and we're pretty happy with the results. We're proud to
announce that as of today, each member gets 100MB of free web space,
complete with WebDAV access for easy uploading and sharing. Additionally,
we're offering free iCal hosting (both private, password protected and
public publishing), free e-mail (25MB of space, web-mail and external
access), free blogging services, and 250MB of free space in the Spymac
Gallery. We're currently in talks with several software publishers to
distribute their products directly from each member's Spydisk (the
Spymac-equivalent of the iDisk. If you are a software publisher,contact us
for more information). In short, Spymac 3 offers more than iTools ever did,
and even challenges Apple's current .Mac in many areas. To pull all this
off, we have built the core of Spymac around 42 high-powered, dual-process
servers: perhaps making Spymac 3 the largest and most ambitious third-party
project of its type ever to launch on the Mac Web.

Regards,
Diane

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html